Thread: New S80 owner
View Single Post
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 21:30   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacombe2379 View Post
So got a new fuel filter fitted and probably one of the easiest jobs I've done for a while.

Was a bit of crud in the drain plug but not much that was seen on t filter but I know looks can be deceving. Car turned over a few times like I expected and ran idles and d held good fuel pressure.

Then the ssot filter full message came up so it looks like I'll have to force a regen....

How is it I check the soot level? I know how to get it to regen I just want to know how long it takes and is it really save to do sat on a driveway with the temperatures involved.

Regards and thanks in advance O
To be honest, a forced regen really is a last resort. Its not good for the DPF.

If you do a forced regen, you need to change the engine oil and oil filter afterwards. You risk the chance of diesel diluting into the oil, hence why you need to change it. You should also only do a forced regen if the differential pressure in the DPF doesn't exceed 100hPa at idle. If its higher than that, then don't do a regen. You need a new DPF in that instance.

To see the soot level, go to VIDA, then "Information", "Product Specifications, "Specifications other", "Engine - Description of Parameters" and it should be listed there. However, I've read it can be listed under "Advanced" then "Regeneration".

The car has to be outside to do a forced regen. A driveway would be fine, but it gets very hot, noisy and the fumes aren't good. Maybe let your neighbour's know beforehand before you blast them with smoke. I don't know how long it takes exactly, but probably 30 minutes or so. I wouldn't do it in a residential area personally, I'd go to an empty industrial car park that doesn't have houses near it.

You're better off bringing the car for a drive at 50mph+ for 20-30 minutes. No need to force regen. It just needs a good drive at speed.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 5th, 2024 at 21:40.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote