View Single Post
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 18:42   #19
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwf15 View Post
on my MY2023 XC60 B5P (mild hybrid) I understood that the 48V battery starts the car using the starter-generator system....if that is correct then how could it be jump started if ever needed using the 12V terminals under the bonnet ?
Does the 12V system also charge the 48V battery?
From my understanding you’re correct – the 48v battery is used for ‘starting’ and is part of the starter-generator circuit. Exactly how you would jump start the 48v battery, I’m not sure. The 12v system is used for the majority of electrical components and I believe is charged from the 48v system through the DC/DC Converter.

There was an interesting article about the issues being experienced in e-LCV fleet vehicle 12v systems because of the reliance that the 12v battery has on the DC/DC Converter to charge it. https://www.gbnews.com/lifestyle/car...-draining-vans

Looks like the 12v battery system is being identified as a potential big problem area for Electric, Hybrid and Mild-Hybrid vehicles.