View Single Post
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 09:12   #12
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I wouldn't really take much heed of High Peak. If its not a Range Rover or some other top end car, then he's not that interested and always goes back to the negatives (or what he thinks are negatives). He didn't like the older shape XC90 either, but there's plenty of them with over 200,000 miles for sale, despite them sounding agricultural... he mentioned the sound the engine made on multiple occasions in his review on the XC90. His 5 litre petrol Range Rover won't get to 200k, that is pretty much guaranteed. It would be doing well if it made it to half that.

5 cylinder engines are imbalanced from the factory, refinement isn't their strong point (hence why people call them noisy or agricultural). They're never going to be as smooth as a V6, but they weren't designed to be. I like the 5 cylinder grunt sound, but its not for everyone.

I think auto suits these cars better. It adds to the comfort, in my opinion.
After that V70 review, Matt at High Peak eventually purchased a cheap P2 XC70 D5 with nearly 300k miles on the clock and was so impressed that he kept it and took it on a road trip.

Disappointingly, many P3 V70 reviews out there relate to early examples. I'd like to see more reviews of late models with Sensus etc..

There is one review out there of a 2015 V70 D4 SE Geartronic, however, which starts in the car park of the Jubilee Tower behind Lancaster.

The reviewer absolutely loves the car, and I like the video because that part of the world was my old stomping ground when I was a student. Me and my bike could often be found huffing and puffing up hills and then frightening the sheep as I almost silently whizz down the other side. (I wouldn't try this now due to the great advances of the last half a century that have brought us potholes. Back then, potholes were properly associated with speleological societies.)

The review begins with the Jubilee Tower and Morecambe Bay in the background and we then get treated to a drive through the Trough Of Bowland. Lovely stuff.

If we put aside issues regarding oil consumption, EGRs and cam covers and, instead, consider the driving experience, the later VEA D4s are great cars.