View Single Post
Old Feb 3rd, 2024, 21:06   #9
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM83 View Post
I attached a CTEK 12v trickle charger to the positive and negative terminals under the bonnet. This charged the front battery to full overnight. When I attached the CTEK to the battery in the boot 24 hours after connecting to the front battery, the rear battery was showing all but flat.

I can’t see any battery would have drained in 24 hours, therefore believe charging the front battery via the terminals, as I was told was correct procedure in another thread, did nothing to charge the rear battery for me.
I think you are mistaken. You have a T8 right? If so there is no such thing as a "front battery". You have a 12v battery in the boot which runs a 12v system in the car. This system has some charging terminals in the engine compartment. The battery itself is in the boot.

You also have a 400v battery for the electric drive motor. This 400v battery is either charged via a Type 2 electric car charger or charged via the engine running.

The 400v battery keeps the 12v battery charged.

So if you are driving along with the lights, heated seats, fan, wipers etc.. All running, then these items will be depleting the 12v battery (which is in the boot). The 12v battery will then be being topped up by the 400v battery and once that is near to discharged the engine will start to top it up.
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote