View Single Post
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 08:23   #9
TheBeast

Hi Thassos, thanks for your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
Interesting thread, looking at the vaccum 'solenoid' in the pic, some of these are simple on-off type ports that either apply a vaccum to the (far side) or switch off the vaccum, usually to operate a mechanical arm or something like perhaps on a turbo the VNT vane position etc to control boost at different engine RPM, pierburg make a lot of this sort of product (found a pic attached of a similar looking part. It looks like there is a round section that is probably a stepper motor or similar that allows a progressive movement between full vaccum (or pressure if is uses pressure) or anywhere inbetween no vaccum to 100%. Suspect if you have a look at the 2 wire (12v) signal it may be a PWM type signal to set it at the desired position ?
How would I go about testing that please..?

Quote:
with no power, is the port open or closed?
When I gently blow on one end, air comes out the other. I thought it should be closed when no power is supplied to it. Your thoughts?
Annoyingly, the same happens with the second-hand one I got. So either they are both good or both broken.

Does anyone here know for sure what it should be, please?

Also tested them by connecting them to a battery, and I can hear it does something. So nothing obvious at fault there.

Quote:
Whats on the far end of the tube (turbo?) side.
It goes to the vacuum wastegate actuator.
In my post #5, I've included a diagram of the turbo and where the vacuum hose goes.

The fault could very well be with that part or the Turbo itself, but my plan was to go throught the easy bits first in the hope I don't have to get to the turbo in this weather
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote