View Single Post
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 15:23   #7
TheBeast

Had a similar idea like you and managed to get a (cheap) second hand one yesterday but it gives no difference in what I see in the data. Not sure if it is one of my best ideas though, as both my original and the new one could be faulty.
But like you say, at least now I can go to town on one of them and see if I can get into it..

I've attached some pictures of the data I'm getting. The most obvious sign of something not being quite right is the "ECM - Turbo Position". The thing is clearly being controlled, but not quite as it should.
It says the turbo position should be above 80% at idle but sits around 50%.
Closed position is OK
'Turbo position 60%' button drives it to around 80%....

The above makes me think that perhaps it 'forgot' somehow what the positions should be, therefore running the 'Adaption turbo system' might solve the issue. However, if something else is the cause I don't want it to learn the wrong thing if that makes sense.

Perhaps the other pictures tells you something useful? Put the idle and 2000 rpm data together in one, so it is easier to compare.
Anything out of the ordinary there, please?
Temperatures are somewhat optimistic as it is only 12C here but have used the car earlier today so perhaps warm under the bonnet?

Finally, looking at the 'Turbo control valve, bypass or VNT'(*) I noticed the following. It tells you to START it and then look at the Turo Position Sensor data again. This time I get:
Idle now sits around 71%.
Closed position is OK
Turbo position 60% button drives it to around 73%
When I however going back to 'Control returns to the control module', it now drops to 0% which it doesn't do without the 'Turbo control valve, bypass or VNT' function activated.

All very weird to me and no idea what could cause this. Any idea please?

Many thanks,

Vince

*="Activation is only possible with the engine running. Verify that the activation works by reading off the reconnected parameter from the turbo position sensor, or by checking visually. Note! Certain software versions do not have reconnected parameters. In these cases, only visual checks can be made.

Also see diagnostic service for activation under DIAGNOSTICS/VEHICLE COMMUNICATION/ECM/Advanced. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Ok Your engine is only single turbo and suspect *3964 may be used in a different way on my engine than yours, but the method of operation should be the same across all engines.
I'd try to flush it - see what if anything comes out.
Try to get Vida to operate it.
After that other than trying a replacement I'm a bit stuck.
If you did get an ebay special, you could play with that trying to take it apart - if it gets broke its not a total loss, you still have the original, If you do get in and clean it etc thats a win win.

Perhaps others might offer a fresh insite..

Cheers
Bob

Last edited by TheBeast; Jan 23rd, 2024 at 16:34.
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote