View Single Post
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 12:28   #4
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
Thanks for your reply Bob.

You are right regarding the different names used. I believe Volvo call it a 'Governor' (see picture attached).

Had seen that videos too, but mine is slightly different and there is no easy way to dismantle it. I could attack it with a screwdriver in an attempt to take the plastic cover off (bottom right bit on the picture) but with my luck I'll probably snap something off.

Hopefully somebody here has an idea regarding the required ohms..?

What is more indicative of the thing perhaps not functioning properly is that when I gently blow on one of the ends, air comes out of the other. My understanding is (quite possibly wrong ) that it should not let air through when there is no charge on it, and open when under charge.
Thoughts anyone please?

The joys of low revs cruising!

I'm actually investigating the reverse. I'm getting an underboost...

Following 2 codes:

ECM-P029900 Turbocharger/Supercharger A Underboost Condition
ECM-P003A85 Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control A Position Exceeded Learning Limit - Bus Signal / Message Failures - Signal above allowable range.

Have done smoke tests on any hose I could get my fingers on and couldn't find a leak.

Had a look at all the possible parameters within VIDA and all seem to be reporting sensible data.

Not got to the turbo/VNT actuator itself yet, as the weather here has been pretty bad and I have to work outside.

Tempted to run an 'Adaptation turbo system' but not sure if this could do more harm than good. If there is a mechanical fault somewhere, the ECM might 're-learns' the wrong thing...
Thoughts?
) What year/model is your car? Si Robbs video is for single turbo not Bi turbo so the use of these components may be different even though they are the same item. However as we appear to be on the "same page" I'm assuming its a 2 turbo engine. As you have Vida do you have dice too? There is an activation sequence somewhere which "tests" the 2 gate ( which should Vibrate when activated) and the 3 gate components, which just clicks. According so the Si video the piece you refer to is held with 4 tags/Clips which have to be released. The internal mechanism is released via the housing at the top RHS of the image, But it appears to be a plastic ring holding the bits rather than a crimped metal fastener.
I understand your pain about smashing stuff with hands of clay - that's why I ain't moved with my issue.

If you have a "Mitty" vac or equal you can test both actuators for operation, but that means removing x2 pipes ( one one *3964 and one (the "T" one IIRC) which runs down to the larger turbo waste gate. on the component next door( two actuators fastened on one bracket???)

Finally IIRC the default position for the valve is "open" in as much as when Si in one video squirted cleaning solution into one of the two "gates" the dirty solution came out of the 2nd gate - This is what you have- but it could be stuck in this position and in need of a clean...

Cheers
Bob
2002 V70 T5 SE now sold
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote