View Single Post
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 13:35   #1
Carlosos

Default Is my gearbox weird or broken?

Just got a new to me 2004 xc90 d5 auto 115k miles.

It drives perfectly and is exactly what we need however the gearbox is acting strange ( to me ).

It slips. When driving along and giving it some welly it slips like I’m riding the clutch. Not huge amounts it almost feels like a cvt is supposed to feel. It goes faster but it doesn’t correspond correctly to the revs. Sometimes I notice it almost change up half a gear then it changes up the other half. It’s very strange but it almost feels like this is supposed to be what it’s doing. It doesn’t jerk or bring up any codes it just drives like this absolutely smooth. All gear selections work never any bangs or thuds or jerks. I’ve tried to video it but it doesn’t come across well on camera. Oh yeah I can’t get it to slip all the way round the tachometer it’ll only rev above it a certain amount, maybe 500 rpm max above what I would consider normal.

No history of auto box oil change but it looks redder than I expected on the dipstick although still very brown compared to new oil.

I’m perplexed.

Torque lock up occurs after 60 as it should and that’s the only time it feels normal to me apart from pootling slowly. My 07 jag s type 3.0 auto gearbox behaves exactly as I would expect.

So is my gearbox weird or broken?
Carlosos is offline   Reply With Quote