View Single Post
Old Dec 28th, 2023, 17:24   #1
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Default I'm still in trouble with my replacement distributor.

This has turned into a bit of a nightmare. I've managed to get a couple of spare distributors. One is a bit bashed with a broken connector for the hall effect sensor. The other looks to be almost new, but with a bit of surface rust from storage, I fitted the newer one, and don't get a spark to the plug. I put the end of the lead from the coil near to the exhaust manifold, and I get a meaty spark. The engine is a B200E with the distributor on the head.

My knowledge of electronic ignition is a bit limited. I assume the hall sensor causes the break in the LT ignition wire to create the HT spark. Is this correct? If so, then I assume that if the hall sensor is faulty, then I won't get a spark. The rotor and contacts in the head look clean and free of pits. The plugs look to be in good condition, and are a nice biscuit colour. The engine was running well before the distributor went missing. I've tried two leads on the no 1 plug, and I don't get a spark.

I'm going to buy a new set of leads, but I'm not confident that will cure the problem. So what is it that I don't understand about the setup?
Save Old Cars
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote