View Single Post
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 04:41   #245
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
Thanks! I ask mainly just as I don't have a frame of reference for how well the car is running in terms of performance.

I find it quite lively at lower speeds actually, and around town it's far from being the slowest car amongst a sea of modern and electric rubbish.

I do find it a bit breathless doing an uphill slip road onto the motorway but I may be asking a little much of it. I am not sure what BHP the high compression head and D cam combination outputs in the real world.

Interesting to note the ability to change wheels and essentially have the shorter diff. I have a set of spare wheels I could fit some cheap tyres to just to see how it feels.

At the moment I am quite enjoying how relaxed the cruising is at 60-70. In comparison to my partner's Toledo 1300 which must be doing 4-5k at 70 it's night and day.

I imagine it's doing sub 3000rpm at 70 which is brilliant.
That is exactly what I did with the wheels and tyres. I acquired a set of later Amazon wheels (£30 for all 5 if I recall), gave them a scrub up and fitted the cheapest 175/60 tyres I could find (£130 for 5 if I remember correctly- including a 165 for the spare to fit the well). They are perfect for the winter: more expendable with some hub caps from a 140 that fit (about a tenner for a big box containing perhaps a dozen caps) so I can keep the smart red wheels and shiny new hub caps for the summer. They also have the advantage of lowering the gearing to what it would have been with a 4.56:1 rear axle with the 175/60 tyres, so the speedometer reads correctly and the acceleration is quite zippy at this time of year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1596.jpg (242.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2320.jpg (189.4 KB, 12 views)