View Single Post
Old Nov 25th, 2023, 23:29   #276
blueosprey90
Master Member

I need to get a modern car!

I've been having intermittent trouble with my starter - to the point that I was forced to whack the solenoid hard with a big wrench in order to get it moved out of storage to home. This was a spare starter that had been pulled from the engine by the prior owner, but the newer starter had also failed and left me stranded

and in the swapping out, the old starter was recommissioned.

I was going to try to clean up the solenoid, but tht would take a bit longer than the time available, so I installed the old, new starter.

But, since I needed to remove the oil filter to install the starter, I decided to install the spin on oil filter adapter that i had acquired several years ago. It is a nice piece, but now I am unsure of what oil filter to use. It seems like it is designed to use a filter that is smaller than the OEM canister.

I'm assuming that the filter material in a modern high end filter is much better than what they had in 1957. The after market spin on oil filters that I use for the MGA race engine seem to fit nicely, but they have an anti drain back valve that may not exist in the B16 engine. The B10/B20 oil filters seem too large and will leave a gap due to the tapered outside edge of the spin on adapter.

Oh well, just another puzzle. But I've probably decided to use the smaller filters that I use in my MGA race engine.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post: