View Single Post
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 11:56   #1
Fulci

Default Limp Mode issue 940 2.3 Estate

Hi
On the whole, I've really enjoyed my first Volvo, acquired 6 months ago. A friend gave me it and his late dad bought it new in 1996. Low mileage 106k. However (!) I'm getting an ongoing issue of the lambda light and limp mode, something that neither my friend nor his dad ever experienced.
I took it to a mechanic who thought it was the turbo. He removed the turbo, drilled a hole in the waste gate pivot pin and fit a split pin. The performance was smoother, but ultimately this did not fix the issue. Another mechanic (the one who has known the car since new and returned to work after an op) says there are too many variable to know what the cause is and that diagnostics from this era are next to useless.

For what its worth the times its gone into limp mode were all in a built up area (thankfully not whilst going 70 on the M25) and there's not much else to say. There's no particular pattern to it. Sometimes it starts first time afterwards, sometimes it had to be turned over maybe 3 times, and when it doesn't start again first time, it sometimes doesn't even turn over and look for a spark, it sometimes has nothing when turned, but then later turns over and fires up. But often it has no issue turning over and firing up first time after the limp mode issue forces me to pull over again with the hazards on....

Does anybody have any ideas what causes this?
I'm in Essex, does anybody know a great mechanic who knows these cars?

I'm desperate to sort this out as I start a new job soon and in that job will be travelling locally throughout the day and I can only own one car at a time these days.

Thanks in advance
Danny
Fulci is offline   Reply With Quote