View Single Post
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 15:19   #1
DJMCUK

Default Which XC40? T4 Sensus; B4 Sensus; B4 Google ???

Hi all. New to the forum and considering a change...

We bought my wife's BMW X1 2.0d Xline Xdrive new in 2016 and it's been a great car for the two of us and two cockapoos.

We've extended the warranty to it's maximum 100,000 so next year we have to go with "Driveline" only cover. It's at 102,000 miles now. Thinking about a change we had considered testing an XC40, as it's an equivalent size and performance, with a view to buying one a few years old. I'm aware the Volvo extended warranty ends completely at 100,000 miles.

On holiday in Cornwall a van reversed into the front of the X1 so it's with BMW being repaired for two weeks and the loan car is... an XC40 B4 Plus. That's handy!

We like the B4 performance, much on par with the diesel X1, we like it's load carrying capacity, a little larger in the boot. We like the 360 camera. It's more refined than the diesel BMW naturally. We've watched Mat Watson's review on Carwow, rating it "just go out and buy it!'

I can't get Google to work so popped into TMS Volvo Hinckley yesterday, had a sit in the sports/leather seats to check there were some comfortable ones (not keen on the standard cloth seats in our B4) and was told the dealer supplying Enterprise hadn't primed the Google system on our B4 so it won't work at present.

Hayden went on to explain the difference between Sensus and the newer Google system (e.g. Google loses the ability to change driver display theme, but gains a better voice control if we don't like losing physical knobs and buttons as in the X1). He also said the facelift models (I can now spot the difference via headlamp shape and fog lamp surround) felt better put together than the pre-facelift, and explained the change from "T" to "B" which came before the change from Sensus to Google. Still not sure when the facelift was?

My wife and I firmly believe electric cars won't last. There's not enough lithium being mined to replace all the dead batteries and supply new car batteries to hit targets (now put back awhile).
We believe this will be a class action in years to come and electric will die out to hydrogen or Zero petrol. Remember Betamax vs. VHS?
So... even the B4 causes us an issue as the 48v battery doesn't fall under the 8 year warranty of the plug-in and full electric (not long enough anyhow, and doesn't cover deterioration) so with a B4 we'd expect a £1,000 bill at some point to replace it. Not the end of the world for sure.

To avoid a battery we'd need to go T4 which means the Google system is out and we get a slightly older, possibly inferior built, car rather than the facelifted and last version of the XC40 before the EX40 replaces it.

What the general consensus? Is a T4 with Sensus "better" than a B4 with Google?
What other differences, gains, losses, are there between the two models?
The "middle" option of B4 with Sensus doesn't really feature. I do like the sound of being able to use Google voice to change climate, add map destinations, ask general questions and guess Sensus is inferior.

I'm still learning the specs. I haven't worked out how to check the chosen model/age has AWD for instance. The X1 has part time AWD which cuts in the rear wheels when needed. I was sceptical but in snow it is superb and we just drive past all the stranded FWD cars.

The X1 also has collision avoidance which is hateful and can't be turned off completely. If it thinks you're going to have a head on collision (happened three times, no risk whatsoever in any of them) it will slam on the brakes full force and throw you forward out of your seat. Autonomous will not work, full stop!
Not sure what the XC40 has in this regard. Anyone?

We also thought about testing a T5 or B5 (they made the latter briefly I understand, but not any more). I'm not sure the XC40 needs more power and worse economy but I'll listen. My car is a Porsche Cayman, not driven so much since I retired early last year, so we could "combine" SUV and performance, hence we're also looking at a Macan next week but I just don't get the "sports car on top of an SUV" look, or the price. To my eyes the XC40 looks trendier yet more inconspicuous. Could be my age of course!

Anyhow, I think we'll be chasing an Inscription T4 or Ultimate B4. Thing is... the used ones haven't really lost much value compared to new. Sign of the times or just an indication that the XC40 is THE most sought after small SUV?

Any thoughts? Still awake?
DJMCUK is offline   Reply With Quote