Thread: Flat Battery
View Single Post
Old Sep 16th, 2023, 11:03   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter 62 View Post
Car has been parked in the street for a few weeks and the battery has gone flat.

Issue is that there is a car parked in front of it that has been there for months. There is only room for 1 car to drive up or down the road at a time, so if I parked alongside to jump start it I would block the road.

Would I be ok to park behind the car and jump start from that car direct onto the Volvo's battery (that is in the back under the floor)?

Am thinking it should be ok, but don't want to interfere/damage with any other electrics or electronics.

54 plate, phase 2 facelift.
Yes you can jump start the car by connecting the jump leads to the + and - of your cars battery and there there is no risk to damaging electronics etc. form doing do. I would personally connect it and leave in running for 10 mins or so to try and get some charge into the battery.

The reason this is not the prescribed method is the risk of hydrogen emissions from the battery being ignited by a spark when the jump leads are removed (hence the advice to connect the negative lead to metal work). Hence - disconnect the leads from the battery which is in the most open space first. If you have a tow ball you could clamp the -ve lead to that otherwise just go straight to the battery - it will be fine.....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Sep 16th, 2023 at 11:15.
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: