Thread: 240 General: - B200E Cam Belt Woes
View Single Post
Old Aug 16th, 2023, 20:12   #8
crcowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
The crank always needs turning past TDC to get the tool in, just turn it back to TDC afterwards and make sure the camshaft and auxiliary shaft are lined up at TDC too and away you go.

You should change the front three seals and front crank housing gasket while you're there.

Cam/aux seals #6842273 you will need two
Crank seal #1276425
Front crank housing gasket #1378493

When you torque up the cam/aux pulley it will probably jump teeth on the cambelt anyway so don't worry about it being timed up perfectly before torquing those up. Once the cam and aux pulley are torqued you can then remove the cambelt and realign everything before fitting it again.

The tensioner needs torquing to 50nm as do the cam and aux pulleys, the crank if I remember correctly is 60nm plus 90 degrees, it could be 60 degrees but I'm having a brain fart ATM.

You will need sealer for the bottom of the crank housing as it sits against the sump gasket so unless you want to change that too put a thin smear of sealant across it. The gasket is also too long so needs the very end cutting off so it doesn't overhang the sump gasket.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on

Not many people seem to bother with the gasket even though the bolts are usually loose and it leaks oil just as bad as the seal.
Many thanks for taking the trouble to advise me on all this.....some fantastic information there, which I definitely haven't come across before. Interesting about the special tool....I was confused when it wouldn't line up, as I thought that was the purpose for it. When I did try to adjust it, the old belt partially broke. It looks like I have some challenges ahead with this job alone, but will keep you posted on how it all goes. Many thanks again....what a brilliant forum this is, people are so helpful.
crcowley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crcowley For This Useful Post: