View Single Post
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 20:19   #22
Petey80
Premier Member

Default Front Mud Flap Installation

I had a bit of spare time this afternoon, so decided to install the mad flaps, just on the front of the car.

First up, jacked the drivers side up and off came the wheel.

Just a quick couple of pictures of the discs and calipers

Yes, I know, the discs need replacing. I'll do them when the pads are worn out.

And they'll be 300mm discs as stated/stamped on the carrier, but I knew they were anyway from my V50 days.

The arch area in general wasn't too filthy

And I located the headlight levelling sensor/arm as well.

Attached to the wishbone/suspension arm and wheel arch. I'll have to keep an eye on this, make sure it's clean and kept in good condition.
I can imagine they aren't cheap to replace if they break....

It was time to install. Thought I'd use a hack the partner had found that we used to put up a shelf one time.

Bits of masking tape over the screws that hold the arch liner in place. Using a black Sharpie, I put dots over the screw heads.

Then transferred the tape to the mud flap

Keeping in mind that the bottom 2 screws are slightly offset and not in a straight line to one another.

Then drilled the 3 holes and screwed the mud flap straight on

Everything back together, wheel back on and wheel nuts torqued up.

Then moved onto the passenger side and copied the process.

Quick pick of this wheel arch and no headlight sensor. Just the one on the drivers side.

New wishbone/suspension arm though, which was a failure on the MOT. Glad I managed to see/check that.

Weak looking droplinks though.... Will get some Meyle HD ones ordered and installed in the near future I think.

Passenger side complete

Think they are both a little on the low side and will no doubt scrape over speed bumps and coming on and off the driveway.

Haven't been out in her yet, so will find out first thing in the morning when I go to the gym.

If they are, at least it won't take long to put right. I should be able to put the wheels on full lock and remove the screws, re-drill the holes an inch or 2 lower and re-install.

I only did the front ones due to the rear arches having a slight recess in them

It is hard to see in the picture, but the screws are back a little bit, so aren't flush with the bumper like the front.

Shouldn't be a problem, but will take a little bit more time to install so they sit right.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote