View Single Post
Old Jun 24th, 2023, 07:10   #8
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihopethatsnotrust View Post
Yes when I first noticed the issue it was dark and sometimes the dipped beam would come on and then sometimes come off but it's settled down to being on all the time now.

Just checked and the rear lights are on in every position, consistent with the front.
The main beam only stays on when head lights are in position 3.
Haven't had time to check the switch but I will get round to that soon
Thank you for your help
Ah, that is interesting (The main beam only stays on when head lights are in position 3). So the relay is still doing more or less what it is supposed to do, and probably isn't getting powered up in positions I and II. That narrows things down a bit.

There would appear to be two likely scenarios:
a. The relay is faulty such that the power side of it is staying switched on all the time, independently of the control side. This seems unlikely because it still switches in position III.

b. There is a short from a 12v switched source somewhere between the relay and the dipped beam bulbs. This would seem more likely, perhaps a cable to the DRL, parking lights, horn (the horn probably isn't ignition switched, so maybe discount that)... other stuff at the front of the engine bay?
I'd suggest trying the isolate the relay test I suggested above; if the dipped beam stays on then that will confirm there is some other source powering up the lights. It should not take long to identify the issue with your multi-meter.

Last edited by Othen; Jun 24th, 2023 at 07:15. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: