View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2023, 20:35   #6
Turbodave
VOC Member

History is sporadic however there is the remains of a sticker under the bonnet suggesting it had a cambelt at 167,000 miles (or maybe 187,000 miles) which puts it around 2010ish if that's correct.

But as with most older cars with patchy history and an untraceable past, I'd take everything with a pinch of salt to be honest. You could buy it and spend a small fortune trying to make it perfect or you could just not care and drive it until the next thing breaks... which it will, it's the nature of the beast.

The irony is, I had it out on Sunday... put a whopping 17 miles on it and it was fine. But then my definition of fine given it's a 27yr old 850 that hasn't seen much use or indeed, much fastidious levels of care over the past few months is that it didn't break down, burst into flames or leak fluids everywhere.

Yes there are niggles, nothing a few weekends work wouldn't fix if you're that way inclined but then again it's not £10... or £5k... but it is old, it isn't perfect and it's probably best viewed as an ongoing / never ending project, but that's where I need a buyer who's attitude towards it matches mine.

Not the utter roaster who, when I was selling my very well worn, very well used 850 T-5R, sent me two full pages of a Word document or his "requirements" and I kid you not, including...

"Are the washer jets of equal pressure and positioning on the screen"

At that point I figured it wasn't not the car for him and I've done the same with this. I've been asked if I can provide invoices for the respray - well no as I didn't say it's been resprayed, I said it's had paintwork. Whether that was in 1998 or 2021... not a clue, don't care but it's not all original. I was asked what suspension it has - again, sorry... no idea aside for knowing it's got coil springs and some shock absorbers. Their origin, not a clue.

Truth be told, having had it out albeit briefly on Sunday... in the sunshine, following an hour of tinkering / swearing at a stiff drivers door lock (now fixed) and having given it a wash to rid it of garage based detritus, I'm actually leaning towards keeping it - it owes me nothing, it works, it's probably on of the last ones left in white... and what else can I buy for £3750 aside for maybe a e-bike.

But I digress in to waffle mode - for now, it's still for sale and it would be best viewed, then perspective buyers can make their own mind up and say "Yes, that's for me there's £3750" or they can say "Thanks for your time, but it's not for me"

They can't say... "Oh well see it's got some stone chips and half a tank of fuel... will you take £2500" or "Will you swap for a diesel S40" or at least they can, but I won't be listening!
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post: