View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2023, 20:55   #75
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levonsrealm View Post
Thanks to the both of you.

I have bought 5 litres of that coolant myself. Awaiting arrival.

The cylinder head looks great. Was a heavy bugger bringing it home on the bus.

rebuild is on pause until I await delivery of a tophat seal for my water pump.

I think once I rebuild it ( with heater fully open) I am going to bring it up to temp on deionised water first just to make sure there are no leaks. No leaks; drain once more then refill with 5050 mix.

I will keep you all posted with how it all goes.

The valve hushers are here. I just need to save up some dosh for a valve shim remover. I may have to leave this task until later in the summer once funds allow. It will cost me another rocker cover gasket. So be it.
I feel for you bringing the cylinder head home on the bus - but then we have all been there (or similar) and it will have been a good learning experience. I suspect you would rather have just changed the cam belt and left the manifold studs well alone (but everything is easier with hindsight - that is part of the learning experience :-).

Did you buy a set of hushers? I wish I'd known, they almost always come free with a head gasket set so I probably have a spare set I could have mailed to you. No matter, I'd perhaps shelve that job for the time being. If you decide to do it in the future drop me a line and I'll mail you my shim remover as long as you promise (double dog dare promise) to send it back once the job is done.

If the water pump seal wasn't leaking previously you could probably just move the pump up a bit and spread a bit of WRAS grease on it.

Good fortune, this classic car ownership is fun, isn't it?

Alan

Last edited by Othen; May 14th, 2023 at 21:26.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: