View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2023, 19:00   #24
Chris1Roll

Various packages have arrived over the previous few days:

I had ordered an INA tensioner, but an SKF one turned up. Thats not a problem though.

I had a couple of hours spare yesterday afternoon so I had a bit of a potter about.
Someone had suggest to leave the valve clearances for now, as if a tweaked valve worked its way back to shape, the clearance would close back up again. Sounds logical on the face of it, so I have decided to leave them for a couple of thousand miles. The gasket needed replacing anyway so I've not lost anything.

The last person to fit the rocker cover had done so with silicone over the gasket all the way around, so I spent quite a while removing that from all the surfaces and inside the camshaft housing.
There was quite a lot of oil leaking from the filler cap, even just at idle so a new seal was fitted to the cap.
I'm not sure if someone has tried repainting the rocker cover, of if it came like it from the factory, but the paint went right up onto the sealing surface and was flaking off in places, probably not conducive to a good seal, so I cleaned that up to a nice smooth shiny surface.

With the new seal, the cap fitted a lot more tightly.
So then I was in a position to position the new gasket and refit the cover.

I had a flash of inspiration at this point, since the injectors are fitted directly to the head on this car, removing them would give me a view of the intake valves. The endoscope fits nicely through the hole.
Aside from varying levels of dirtiness, I didn't see anything to get excited about:
Cyl 1:

Cyl 2:

Cyl 3:

Cyl 4:

Cyl 3 being cycled:
https://youtu.be/lrC72s-ibb8

Doesn't look bent to me.

Predictably enough the 34 yr old injector seals were all dried up and offered no resistance when being removed and re-inserted, so they'll all need replacing now.
I also found that my Aug 1989 car has the " 'up to '88' " design of flametrap, rather than the " '88 on" version, so I have ordered the wrong one, so I'll need to get the right one ordered.

I'm also a bit dubious about the amount of tension the cambelt tensioner spring is actually applying, it doesn't seem like much - when the nut is loose, you can still see the edge of the hole for the retaining pin, so for the sake of £3.30 I think I'll add that to the order.

I then set about cleaning up a the oily gunk that had built up around the back of the head from the leaky cap and cover. I got bored of that quite quickly, but while I had my hand behind there I came across this oddly shaped spring just hanging loose on the kickdown cable next to the heater pipes - any ideas where it should live?
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris1Roll For This Useful Post: