View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2023, 05:42   #7
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1Roll View Post
And you and the others were quite right Othen - I must admit to catastrophising a bit, but we haven't had much luck with cars this year - in the previous 24 years of driving we've suffered 1 breakdown.
We've broken down 2 times in the past 3 months.
That and having paid a not insubstantial sum in January to have the autobox in my wifes V70XC professionally rebuilt, they managed to fix the original fault but introduce a severe torque converter shudder for which it has been back 3 times so far and still isn't right.

Here's hoping this "proper volvo" will be an end to the woe!
Most of us 200 series chaps are simple country folk that don't understand anything made after 1990.

Dave makes a good point about your squeaky tensioner - it could have had a hand in the demise of your cam belt. They don't often fail, but they are cheap, so it would be worthwhile changing it whilst doing the other work.

If you are going to check the valve clearances it would be worth changing the hushers at the same time, that should make your motor a bit quieter.

Good fortune,

PS. I think testing the compression is a good idea (but then I'm a bit of a closet 2 stroke type of bloke (motorcycles and jet skis), so I probably would say that). In my experience cheap compression testers are perfectly good: they are really simple and last decades; no matter though, if you have already ordered an expensive one it will work just as well.

Last edited by Othen; May 7th, 2023 at 07:24. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: