View Single Post
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 20:35   #40
Levonsrealm
240 user and non-abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Well, this won't have been a bad lesson in fairly old motor car maintenance, but your daily driver will have been off the road for a while and a £20 cam belt change has become a £400 top end rebuild. I can't help wondering why the manifold studs needed removing in the first place... but that ship sailed long ago.

While you have the motor stripped down that far you may as well check and re-shim the valves, and replace the hushers.

Generally with old motor cars it is a good idea to leave things alone if they work okay (although I've been guilty of taking things apart to find out why they are running so well many times in the past - particularly on motorcycles; it is almost never a good idea).

What you have done so far was probably unnecessary, but it probably wasn't wasted effort. If your aim is to learn about fairly old Volvos it was time well spent (however if you were just trying to keep your daily driver on the road it was less so).

Some excellent points you made.

I bought the car so I could learn about car mechanics. So far so good.

Through tearing the car down and rebuilding I have spent an awful lot of money up to now on things I did not need. But now I know how to replace a lot of a car. Whilst at the same time know how to identify problems too by hearing. Especially before they become catastrophic.
It is as you say, a lot of it will not have needed doing. Additionally, if it ain't broke don't fix it but my hubris has bested me on that little saying.

As for putting it back together, I am hoping all goes well. I shall keep you updated.

Anyone have a link to a good thread for checking valve clearances and replacing hushers.

My mechanic retired last November. I picked up a bag of scrap from them of which was some great parts in there, along with good quality spark plugs. Also a shim set!

One mans trash is another mans treasure.
Levonsrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Levonsrealm For This Useful Post: