Thread: New 142
View Single Post
Old Apr 1st, 2023, 16:45   #168
142 Guy
Master Member

How is your center grill and headlight surrounds? On my 142 the center black ribs were pretty bent up and the surrounding bright trim was also pretty dented. It is all rather thin aluminum. Nice that it doesn't rust; but, a hard stare will create a dent in the aluminum and my car had seen a lot of action on gravel roads.

Many hours with a tiny pick and hammer managed to get the black parts looking good. A little spot filler in a few spots around the headlight and then some satin black epoxy (or maybe it was powder coat since I have used both) on the black parts had them looking very respectable. The bright trim was an absolute pain. Hammered out the dents and filed down and polished. In a few spots managed to file right through the trim. Where the hole was on the flat part of the trim I got a tig welder to put down a dab which was filed flat; but on the highly curved front part of the trim the welder did not want to put a dab. He couldn't really see well from the back side and didn't want to risk blowing right through the trim. Had to use some silver grey epoxy to fill from the back side and then dab in some bright silver paint from the front. Not perfect; but, they are pin holes so not really obvious.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post: