Thread: 240 General: - H Reg 240, Project Thread
View Single Post
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 09:42   #26
hreg240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
It is good that you are making a list.

This isn't a criticism, but I can't help thinking that if you are going to get a dealer to do simple jobs like timing belt changes they you are going to burn through your project budget in no time.

If it was me (and I know, it is not), I wouldn't particularly worry about a 20,000 mile old belt (even of it was last changed 10 years ago). I'd take the cover off and have a look and listen. Tensioners hardly ever wear out and are easy to change also (there is a piece on the RB thread about changing the tensioner that you may have already seen). Another advantage (apart from saving 75% of the cost in garage labour) about doing these jobs yourself if you may assess all these things as you go - in addition you may make sure they are done properly.

I don't know which motor your estate car has, but it is probably a B200a or e - I'm pretty sure it won't be an interference engine, although it would be a good idea to change the belt sooner rather than later I'm not sure there is much risk.

All this is up to you of course Thorne. In my humble opinion much of the point of running older motor cars is doing the maintenance and repairs oneself. If one doesn't know how to do a job it is an excellent opportunity to learn, and there is always a YouTube video by some middle aged chap with a beard to help.

Good fortune, whatever you decide to do.

Thanks Alan,

My initial thoughts were: the belt was done 20,000 miles ago - that is barely run in. However, I started to do some researching across this forum and others, with a lot of people saying any belt over 5 years old is a cause for concern.

It's got the B200e engine in it, which I have conflicting information on whether it is interference or not (some say aye, some say nay).

You have prompted me to give it some thought, I have done far 'worse' jobs in fairness (like a road-side fuel tank swap!); I will definitely be replacing the aux belts this weekend, as they look a bit shabby and make a squeal - but that is something I am confident with.

I see your point about doing much of the work myself, which is something I generally stand by; however, with the motor car being my only mode of transport (and I'd rather not walk 70 miles each day for work), with jobs that could go horribly wrong, especially ones that I have not done before, I'd much rather the peace of mind of having an experienced set of hands available. (Be that a garage, or more experienced friend / relative).

I shall give the timing belt debacle some more thought, either way it shan't be done tomorrow - I simply don't have the expendable cash.

I will keep you all updated on how things go
hreg240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hreg240 For This Useful Post: