Thread: 240 General: - H Reg 240, Project Thread
View Single Post
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 08:32   #23
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hreg240 View Post
Update....We've found rust.

Overall, the car is quite solid. It's got receipts for main dealer welding work having been carried out a couple of times. I got underneath the car to double check today and it is indeed quite solid.

I already knew about a patch that had been rust proofed (badly) on the o/s C pillar, where the window meets the door; as well as the rear arches needing tending to soon.

Today however, I noticed that under the o/s rear light, there is a hole. I have a feeling, the sound of rust chips falling from the car wasn't my ears deceiving me - that is indeed what happened, as I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when I picked the car up.

Ho hum. I've added it to the list. Thankfully we shouldn't be getting any salt on the roads now for a while at least. In the meantime, I will attack the area with some hammerite to slow the progression.

Unfortunately, funds don't allow for me to instantly fix it. But it is high on my list.

P.S - The n/s under-light area looks perfectly fine. Also, the tailgate area in general isn't terrible. I've also had a peek under a bit of the carpet and it looks good.

P.P.S - Look Alan! I've figured out how to do smaller thumbnails
Well done for re-sizing the photos, they are much easier to view now.

I think it is a really good idea to do as you are now: make a list of project jobs at the outset (even if you can't get round to them all just yet). I always start a spreadsheet to record projects costs from the very start: it is so easy to get carried away with spending on older motor cars (and they almost never recoup the costs).

Rust will be your most important challenge, particularly on an estate car. Be ruthless in assessing it now, rather than just accept it as 'quite solid'. Hamerite is a good idea, not only to help prevent further rust, but also to remind yourself where you have found any evidence so you check there again. Anywhere you can see a hole will be much worse underneath, it is like an iceberg. Don't allow yourself to put any bling stuff on the project list until you have the rust and any mechanical and electrical issues under control.

You got your motor car for a fair price, so it should be possible to contain the overall project costs. All the above is just my advice of course; it is up to you what you do with your motor car.

Good fortune,

Last edited by Othen; Mar 24th, 2023 at 08:36.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: