View Single Post
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 20:33   #19
4x4
Premier Member

Driving back from England to my home in Scotland last week after I purchased the car and I was about 4 hours into the journey when I noticed the volume control on the steering wheel wasn't working and I thought, 'oh shoot that's going to be expensive to fix' Anything electrical that stops working when hot is always a PITA to rectify. Next morning I went out expecting it to have cooled down and back to normal, but it wasn't the steering wheel control buttons were all dead as a dodo. After a few checks I noticed button 2 & 3 on the radio fascia was stuck in so I got a needle and started poking around the perimeter and it popped out and the steering wheel buttons started working again. Detective hat on I discovered the cup holder had the remnants of dried sticky drink which had spilled, closer examination of the buttons also showed the same sticky remains of something that had spilled. I tried cleaning the button area with isopropyl and a tooth brush but whatever was spilled was now rock hard and didn't want to move. I got the thinnest needle my wife had in her sewing basket and spent about two hours scraping away at the void between the fascia surround and buttons 2 and 3 and eventually the gunge gave way and the buttons work as they should. Not sure if it would have been any easier to remove the radio, dismantle it, clean it and then put it all back together and zip it all up again

Dire Straits Money for Nothing sounds amazing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg console.jpg (130.0 KB, 153 views)
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post: