View Single Post
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 20:33   #57
Forg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post
There are some nasty emissions from charging and discharging batteries, but nobody talks about that.
This is news to me, so I searched it ... I think it only happens when the battery is overcharged & overheated, and for cars they control the charging very firmly. So I don't think this is an issue for cars, at least not until they start playing up; and when that happens, is it as bad as an ICE where the cat is a bit old or it's out of tune?

eg. https://eepower.com/news/100-toxic-g...-about-fires/#

Quote:
I gather the US is having to upgrade some roads because of the extra weight of EVs.
In a land where everyone rides around in F150's? I suspect something has been exaggerated.

Quote:
In fact I believe that Wyoming has a bill in the pipeline to ban the sale of EVs in the state.
That was shot down quick-smart.
It was solely about protecting oil jobs, that's all they said it was about, there was no claim about negatives of EV's except for a fear of jobs being lost in the oil industry.

Quote:
I've seen various estimative of the climate damage resulting from the manufacture and distribution of EVs, and it seems it may be some 20 times the damage caused by my driving my 35 year old 740. It seems madness to push the manufacture of them if we really are at the tipping point of climate change.
Well there are a few things here.
Firstly I can't find modern numbers. The numbers that I've seen bandied-about were presented as being about EV's but were actually for Priuses & they were from 15 years ago. So given the lies the oil industry is renowned for, it's hard to know what's true.
Second, nobody is saying "get rid of your 740 and buy an EV", it's all about new cars which were going to be ICE purchases anyway. From an environmental impact, you're better running the car you already have, even if it's a little flaky in terms of emissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzine View Post
This is something I hear a lot. Out of interest, did you ever share such concern in the past for ICE vehicles in the same way? So many rare metals are used in the making of cars and fuel refining, I can't get my head around why now it's suddenly a concern. From the articles and posts I see it's almost as if certain large companies, reliant of the sale of such old hat tech, don't want people to switch over.
Nah I don't think there's any doubt that the amount of that stuff you need for batteries is a lot more than in an ICE car.
Lithium's a pretty bad one, and batteries without it are being developed, however with the rise of the EV there're going to be scads of Li-based batteries around.

There does still seem to be an issue surrounding carbon emissions during manufacture, too. I mean if it takes 15 years for a newly-made ICE to catch-up with a "polluting old one" in terms of CO2 emissions due to what's generated during manufacture, then it can't be great if EV's generate 75% more CO2 during manufacture due to the batteries:
https://www.industryweek.com/technol...rbon-footprint
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote