Thread: New 142
View Single Post
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 16:35   #151
142 Guy
Master Member

Just an observation. The B20E and F suffer from a problem that was labeled Hot Injector Syndrome by a Ford engineer. If the injectors heat soak on a hot engine the flow rate through the injectors drops off resulting in a really lean fuel mixture on a hot restart. The problem can be severe enough that the engine may not start or it will run like merde for a couple of minutes until fuel flow through the injectors cools them and the flow rates return to normal.

Volvo (and probably Bosch) became aware of the problem which is why Volvo came out with a partial fix in late 1971 that consisted of phenolic washers that sandwiched the aluminum injector holders. The phenolic sandwich reduced heat transfer to the injector from the head. This helped; but, did not eliminate the problem. The biggest contributing factor to the hot injector problem appears to be that on non cross flow engines like the B20 the injectors sit directly over the exhaust manifold so they get a good cooking on shut down.

The hot restart problem is most severe on hot days. I remember one occasion on a sunny day when the ambient was around 30 C. I had parked my 142 E at a shopping center to pick up some items allowing the injectors to heat soak for about 10 - 15 minutes. On returning the engine was hard to start and after getting it started the AFRs were in the 20 - 22 range (where my gauge tops out so it may go higher). This was with the retrofitted phenolic washers installed. As the engine ran you could see the AFRs drop as fuel flow cooled the injectors.

I have MS Extra retrofitted which allowed me to create a configuration patch which helps with the problem. When the engine coolant temperature is above 60 or 70 C I start to add fuel back in to both the cranking fuel pulse widths and the after start enrichment pulse widths and increase the taper time for the ASE as the temperature increases. I have also fabricated an aluminum heat shield / view block that sits between the top of the intake & exhaust manifold and the bottom side of the injectors. That shields the injectors from infrared radiation from the exhaust manifold. Even with the phenolic washers, my software patches and the heat shield I still incur some lean running on a hot restart; but, the patches ensure the engine will start and at least be driveable.

The reason I mention this is that I notice that the mounts that you have fabricated to hold the injector rail are above the injectors. This may act to reflect radiant energy from the manifold back on to the injector body. Whether that will be a problem remains to be seen. You are not using the original Bosch injectors so your injectors may be less susceptible to the hot injector problem. However, the D jet equipped cars were not the only vehicles to suffer from this problem. The Jeeps that used the straight 4 and 6 non cross flow engines also suffered from this problem. Chrysler's solution was a view block heat shield and thermal wraps for the injectors. The wraps made the injectors look like pigs in a blanket. The pigs in a blanket may be an option for you with your smaller body injectors.

Depending on how hot and sunny Aberdeen gets in the summer, this may or may not be a problem for you. I have discussed this problem with owners in Arizona and California who have reported that even with the insulating washer retrofit, in hot weather hot restarts are next to impossible. The engine needs to sit for an hour or two before it will restart and then runs badly until the injectors cool sufficiently to allow smoother running. So, something to be aware of because your fuel rail holder may exacerbate the problem.
142 Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post: