Thread: V60 b3p
View Single Post
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 20:52   #9
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb82 View Post
That’s good to know about the gearbox. I guess the downside is these new DCTs need servicing fairly regularly. Also I spend a lot of time stuck in traffic and from what I understand DCTs are less tolerant of creeping forward in traffic?

Interesting on the B3. So is that compared to a B4? I was hoping a B3 would be enough as I can get an R-Design one and still sneak under the extra road tax!
True and true. Maintenance-wise - it’s just an oil change, so as long as you don’t need to swap a friction plate every few tens of thousands of miles (first-gen VAG DSG, khm, khm 🙄…) I am ok with it. Creep-wise - yes, and no. Generally, T/C transmissions are more tolerant to creeping, as you said (hence the inherent inefficiency - simply because they slip a lot..) but Volvo DCT is a wet-clutch system - so waaaay more tolerant than dry-clutch iterations. In any case - yes, more complex, and more maintenance-requiring, but much more efficient (mpg and performance-wise..) and sophisticated than T/Cs.

As for B3 - yes I was comparing it to B4 but also T5, and diesels which I have driven at one point or another. “Enough” is a very subjective term - that’s why I think you best test-drive it and judge by yourself.

Good luck in any case!

XC40 B4 RD AWD

Last edited by Haldex; Nov 8th, 2022 at 20:56.
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote