Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 12:44   #3694
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
What prompted me to ask was the beam pattern on the pics further up Alan. Normally there should be a definite "kick-up" (yes, that's the official name!) on the left hand side of the beam and where the kick-up meets the horizontal is the centre point of the beam.

The image in your pic looks more like the SAE pattern of dipped beam or not-quite-right main beam.

Normally the best way if using a garage door or similar is to drive as close to the door as possible and using insulation or masking tape, make a cross on the door where the kick-up and horizontal parts of the beam meet on dipped beam. Then reverse back 10-15ft and aim the intersection about 2-3" lower than the cross. Postimages seems to be playing up or i'd post a pic of the correct UK/EU beam patterns so you could see what i mean.
I'll be happy to get it more or less right for now Dave; when I was driving last night I thought it was a tad high, so I'm dropping it down a tad (a technical term us surveyors use).

Once I'm happy I have the mixture and emissions right I'll probably take it back to F1 (who did the MoT) to check it on their CO analyser and let me borrow their beam setter for a few minutes (all for a contribution to the tea fund). That might not happen for a month though.

The Barge has had its last compulsory MoT, so in a sense neither the emissions or the beam alignment matter much, but I'd still like to get them both right (myself if I can).

:-)