View Single Post
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 09:46   #122
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Spent a few hours on the 940 yesterday as a prior engagement was cancelled at the last minute

So I drained the old coolant, replaced the reservoir, (and fitted the level guard which will be wired up later), replaced the thermostat, and all the radiator hoses. The last one to be replaced was the top hose - which gave me a bit of a sinking feeling

Yes, it looks like I need a new radiator. The PO obviously knew about it, and had repositioned the hose clips over the crack to stop the leak So I'll need to redo all that work when I replace the radiator - I'll get a Nissens one rather than Volvo as I think they're a better part. At least its not as involved as on the 850 radiator - where the engine oil, transmission fluid and coolant all pass through a single radiator, so every system has to be disconnected!

I then went on to do the oil change. Now usually thats a straight forward job, but a pattern is developing here... the filter was on obscenely tightly. Utter madness! I'd put the car on ramps, so had some room, but not much, and of course the position of the filter doesn't help much. Anyway, I eventually released it, but ended up pulling a very strange muscle indeed!

Now I was really straining - REALLY straining, but I've still never pulled this muscle before. I bet Roger Moore would never have this problem as his eyebrows are well honed. Yes, I pulled a muscle in my eyebrow!!! I actually felt it ping as something snapped lol. At least it wasn't a hernia

So, with a sore forehead and an oil filter in hand, I had a break for a cuppa. The filter replacement (a Mann filter) went well fortunately - I hadn't broken anything in the oil filter housing.

I'm refilling with Valvoline Max Life 10W40 this time - its something I used in my S70 T5. It has lots of gentle cleaning agents, plus seal conditioners to help rejuvenate the engine oil seals to stop/prevent oil leaks. As the 940 hasn't been used much over the last 10 years I want to give the engine internals a good clean over the next 4k miles (ie until the next oil change).

I was getting quite wet by this point so I called it a day. But at least one eye was getting some rain protection - my eyebrow had started to swell up
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post: