View Single Post
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 23:50   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Hopefully someone with better knowledge will be able to confirm but as far as I'm aware it's not CANbus. The 850 did not even have an OBDII port (and whilst the subsequent V70 in '98 had an OBDII port it wasn't truly compliant). Wikipedia lists Mercedes as having the first CANbus vehicle in '91 and the 850 ran from 91 to 97. Haynes makes no mention of CANbus in the general info on fuel injection (Bosch LH3.2-Jetronic, Motronic 3.2 or Fenix 5.2 systems), ignition or body electrical systems or lighting.
I expect it would be quite hard to find a definitive statement 'The 850 does not have CANbus' as when it was first produced CANbus was hardly known, and neither would they advertise that it didn't have the latest innovation.

If you do go ahead I'd be interested to read how you get along, driving an old V70 the idea of an EV conversion did occur to me and whilst it will have its difficulties and may not make a totally ideal vehicle, when I considered even small cars like the Nissan Leaf they have similar power available and the 850/V70 should be able to accomodate a fair few batteries.
my 850 hos an obd port under the coin holder.its the same shape as an obd 2 port but i believe its what they call obd zero or o not many readers can interface with it but there are some that can .
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post: