Thread: Delivery News
View Single Post
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 07:21   #487
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
Wall box was £1500 all in. Im not sure I'll ever recoup that. Electric bills, mmm, we are about £350 per month at the mo, but we both work from home and there is a lot of tech in the house. I worked out it costs about £7 to fully charge, which is a lot for the 40 real range, but in hybrid mode its different, it helps the engine, so if its driven normally and gently, well, I expect my average MPG to easily be in the 45-55mpg.

In the S90 T5 I avg 38
Have a look at maybe switching to an EV electric tariff, I'm on a pretty decent one with Octopus Energy that gives me a 4 hour window overnight where it costs me 7.5p/kwh. I charge my car overnight and a full battery charge costs me about £2.20, if I charge during the day it would be around the same cost as you are at.
The good bit with the cheap overnight electricity is we set our dishwasher and washing machine to run during that time too so even bigger savings!!

My much less aerodynamic XC60 is currently showing over 70mpg average since I bought the thing in June and I dont drive for economy, if I did it would likely be much higher.
Its actually pretty economical for a big heavy car even when the battery is empty at which point it drives just like any self charging hybrid.
I recently drove back to Norfolk from Shropshire (220ish miles) and averaged 44mpg sitting at the national speed limit +10-15 the majority of the time starting with a full battery. Pretty decent really and as the V90 is less of a brick, it should do better.

And yes, Volvo in their infinite wisdom kept the onboard charger the same 3.6kw unit as when the battery was much, much smaller. Not that much of an issue in a 10.4 or 11.6 kwh battery but now its 18.8 (of which I regularly put in 17kwh's when empty), if they had just upgraded to a 7.2kw charger like pretty much every other PHEV is at a minimum, our charging would be done in half the time. Yet another cost saving exercise but never mind........

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post: