Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 09:03   #3588
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

The 15" rims and 195/65 tyres fill the wheel arches much better than the original 14" wheels and 175/70 tyres:

The Pholus wheels have nearly new winter tyres fitted, but that doesn't really matter, I think I'll run them as all year round rubber. The winter tyres will wear a little quicker, but I'm only expecting to do around 2,000 miles/year so that will hardly make any difference. I think they suit the Barge much better than do the originals.
I was intrigued at another thread I was reading in the general section of this forum where a chap said he had just bought some new tyres (for his wife's Vauxhall I think) that came with less than 6mm of tread. This led me to seeing how much thread I had on the Barge's winter tyres that I have decided to run all year round. The answer is 13-14mm on all four (bear in mind these have already done about 2,000 miles on the RB).

I'll measure them again this time next year, so if winter tyres wear that much (but with 14mm to start with that is a huge head start).

:-)