View Single Post
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 13:30   #10
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
You should very much book an inspection, that’s a great idea. You will be made aware of bushes, suspension components etc etc.

However the condition of the flaps, auto box and haldex will be ‘pass/fail’ as opposed to how degraded and aged the fluid is.

I will make my own assessment here and state it, it’s not fact but most on here will agree with me.

… if the automatic box has not had a oil change at 150,000 you will likely have problems in the next 30,000 miles, and they will probably cost £x,xxx. The transmission service is not scheduled at all as part of the Volvo maintenance procedure unless used as a taxi or for heavy towing. As such, having a full Volvo history is really not a good thing.
The same goes for the haldex.

Incidentally I am very well aware, and very accepting of the fact that I could get a £2,500 bill at anytime for a car like this.

At that milage a Volvo history is not enough, you need evidence of good mechanical practices such as gearbox oil and haldex oil changes etc so myself, I would go for a
Much lower miles car (75,000 maybe) with history and then you can change the fluids yourself.
I would not go wrong to have a transmission oil service and haldex oil service in any case just to be on the safe side ?

At the current price I have allocated a 1500 GBP budget for upgrades and bringing the car up to the best standard. With less miles there is less budget for a E46 Convertible, 9-3 Convertible or C70 Convertible next to run besides it :-)

At 2100hrs I know more.

Since this is an Executive model with the 19" Galateia wheels, can I change them for the Camulus wheels as well or use those as winter wheels for my winter tyres ? Guessing it should not matter which size I fit under this model ?

Can I use Castrol Edge Titanium 5W30 LL oil ? I have quite a few liters left from my BMW 5 series .....

Find me on Instagram as SussexChineseDutch
AlainBrighton is offline   Reply With Quote