View Single Post
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 12:34   #55
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

Nostalgia, Alan?

Certainly, it may be argued that the two series car is better than the one series. By the same token, that the seven is better than the two, the nine than the seven, and so on.

As mentioned, my first Volvo was a one series and that will always have a special place in my heart. For that reason, although I don't have Steve's burning desire, l would be quite happy to have another.

Conversely, while I've never had the same yen for an Amazon, I did once go to look at a one owner, 20 year old, 123GT for sale in Nottingham at £300. What would that have made at auction today I wonder?

Regards, John.
Nostalgia - yes of course John; if you cast your mind back to when I bought the RB that was entirely the reason. My first new motor car was a 240 back in the 80s. I'll always have a soft spot for 240s for that reason - I don't suppose I'll be without one for long after the RB departs (tomorrow).

I have a soft spot for my Amazon as well - nothing to do with nostalgia though - I'd not heard of them before I joined this community; GAM is just a cool motor car, that is all.

I'd certainly agree about 240s being better than 140s, and then 740s being better than 240s - and 940s better still. I'm looking forward to finding a nice 1984/5 740 in a year or three and letting it mature into an historic car, then a smart 940 in about 2030 and doing the same (if the historic vehicle scheme is still running then). The formula of buying just before a motor car's 40th birthday and selling a little after allows me to own some nice, interesting vehicles at no real financial cost, thus making this hobby free (perhaps I even gain a little compensation towards the 100s of hours I spend putting them together properly).

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Aug 21st, 2022 at 12:37.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: