Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 14:10   #2096
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
Good point about the 164! I ought to have recalled that one!

Curiosity dictates that I will have to go away and look into the 360 GLE thing - unprompted, I would have said there was always a choice of fuel system! They were certainly available with a choice from very early on, but I wouldn't want to bet the house on my previous assumption being correct...!

I think 240 GLEs with carbs are an oddity, and it was only for a year or two, but there was presumably some method in the madness.

cheers

James
I remember being in the parts dept of Rudds in Southampton in ~1985 looking for a heater hose for my 144DL auto and overhearing a customer complaining loudly to the salesman about the 360GLE he'd just bought not having fuel injection and "the "E" denotes fuel injection, why hasn't my car got it?" or words very similar.

The parts guy quietly told me there was a Marina that used a near identical heater hose for 1/4 of the price and sending me to the roundabout at the other end of that stretch of dual carriageway to Newmans of Redbridge (then an Austin-Rover Group dealer, now Nissan i believe) to buy said hose.
I poootled along the dual carriageway past work to Newmans, got said hose then back along the other side to come off at Rudds roundabout and go back along the dual carriageway almost to Newmans again before turning into the road that led to the company car park. Went and had a quick feed and let the car cool down and fitted the hose before going home that night.
Oh yeah, Rudds were out of stock of that hose so even if i'd wanted to pay more, i couldn't have done!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: