Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 06:32   #3132
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
Your young lad is getting to the age when he'll need his posessions transported regularly from thence to hither, be that university lodgings or from one overpriced bedsit to another....

...could I interest sir in a capacious shooting brake for such purposes?
Wonderful BicycleBoy!

I explained that poorly: the no estates and no turbos rule only applies to hobby cars (Volvos).

I have sensible motor car for transporting Bob, shopping, collecting Volvo parts, collecting building materials, moving motorcycles, picking up the said young lad and various mates from places (cinemas, parties, sports...) and delivering them to other places (cinemas, parties, sports...), trailering Volvos to the Scottish Borders and teaching the again said young lad to drive:

... not only is it an estate (shooting brake), but it is also a turbo (diesel). It is though dead reliable, cheap to run (50 MPG and £30/year tax), reasonably fast, very comfortable, safe... and a bit dull (in a nice way).

The said young lad and I also share a sensible fun car for nice days out:

... shown here some years ago with the same young lad barely tall enough to see over the steering wheel. It is a nice motor car, and great fun, but complex so this old man has never seen any part of the engine, gearbox...

Hobby cars (Volvos) are different - they don't have to be practical, or reliable (but it would be nice if they were - that is where the challenge comes in), so they look like this:

... soon to retire to the Scottish Borders, or like this:

... the apple of my eye (apart from the above said young lad and Bob of course). The main requirements for the Volvos is that they are old, quirky, interesting and easy for an old man to try to make reliable.

I haven't even got on to the motorcycles yet:

So there we have it: a motor car (or motorcycle) for every season, but the Volvos aren't allowed to be estates or turbos.

Another lovely day in paradise.

Bobwalkin' time :-)

Last edited by Othen; Aug 6th, 2022 at 06:34.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: