Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 14:42   #3086
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's simpler than a carb Alan! With fewer moving parts it is inherently more reliable, those who condemn it as unreliable generally have no concept of how it works and the reason their car has broken down is because they've been meddling in things they shouldn't.

As previously mentioned, adding it to your 240 would be fairly easy and it was after all designed, as was the L-Jetronic as being a retrofit system by Bosch meaning it can easily be fitted to cars that didn't have it.

Also there is a much more prosaic reason that you don't see so many carb bits advertised - there aren't that many cars around now with carbs and those that are, generally have a generic set of spares - the market has already been cornered on these by the "big boys" and not many people these days know what does what in a carb.
Well, we will just have to agree to disagree about all those points. There is no way I'll be convinced a system with 11 separate components (LP pump its wiring and return line, HP pump with its wiring and control, accumulator, fuel distribution meter, air flow meter, injectors, warm up valve, auxiliary air valve, cold start valve and thermo-time switch) is simpler that one with just three (mechanical fuel pump, anti-dieseling valve and carburettor).

I completely disagree that adding the CI system to the RB would be simple. I had a look at it today: the RB doesn't have a return fuel line or anywhere for it to go back into the petrol tank, it doesn't have a LP pump (apart from the mechanical pump - and the CI system negates the use of that) or any wiring, relay or control for one, it has no HP pump or any wiring/relay/control and the engine bay wiring loom doesn't accommodate any of those CI system components that require power or the ability to send a signal somewhere else (I'm sure about that - I made the wiring loom myself).

The reason not many carburettor replacement parts are advertised is (I believe) because there are very few soft components prone to wear: in the case of the 175 CDUS just the diaphragm and perhaps a few gaskets and O rings (that can either be made or are generic).

Let's just agree to disagree then.

Another lovely day in paradise.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Aug 2nd, 2022 at 16:23. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: