Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 14:09   #3084
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
K-jetronic reallly is misunderstood, particularly the durability and repairability of the components involved.

Here's an informative video from back in the day, VHS tape distortion, received pronunciation and all...

https://youtu.be/a4fJAfXYxWk
My observation (as something of an outsider) is that opinion about the K-Jetronic CI system is split into two camps: those who believe it to be simple and reliable , and those who do not. The YouTube video has rather convinced me that it is far from simple and full of potential points of failure.

Another observation (again, as an outsider) is that I read many threads about components of the CI system failing in these pages, but I can only remember one (Bob from Dublin's slow running adjuster screw falling out - and him finding it again in Tesco's car park a week later) of a carburettor failure.

A third observation is that there seems to be a thriving market in second-hand and reconditioned components for the CI system, whereas apart from the odd diaphragm I don't see the same with carburettors.

I don't have to decide yet (I'm fortunate in having at least a month before I may (or may not) start the B230/AW71 transplant), but my observations are bringing me to the conclusion that trying to integrate the CI system into a motor car not built for it would be needlessly difficult. I also conclude there there will always be people out there that need a replacement thermo-time switch, auxiliary air valve or warm-up valve.

Don't get me wrong: I like the idea of people running complex, high pressure fuel injection systems on their oldish motor cars - I may well have some spare parts to sell them one day :-)

Another lovely day in paradise.

Alan