View Single Post
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 21:01   #3
VolvoRob38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
That one is easy on a car of that era,

Your piston is dirty inside the caliper, it's a simple remedy, just push the pistons back as if you were changing the pads, the more worn they are the better for this, then pump them back up without removing the pads, "brake res cap off obviously" do this 5 times and you should be able to feel the brakes clamp on better, whoever told you the cable needed adjusting is having a laugh, the only time the cable needs tightening is if the handbrake isn't holding on a drum assembly,

Make sure you anti seize the pads where they need to slide a bit, same thing with the guide pins as one of those might be sticking, and wire brush the whole lot off where there's surfaces meeting each other not the disk or pad friction surfaces though

Looking at the pics it looks like one side hasn't worked for some time as there's no ridge.
Thanks Snine,

So have I got this right;
Take calipers right off the disks, push piston in all the way and then can I just sit the caliper back on the disk with pads in place and pump the break? Do this 5 times.
Should I feel the piston start to push in easier as I go so I know they are getting free of the grime and crap that Im trying to shift?

Also re anti seizing the moving parts, can I use break grease on the lot, or it that just for the caliper pins, and need something else for anti seizing i.e. copper spray or something?

Its funny yknow because every time I go to the garage there is always some little issue that Im convinced they set up to try and make more work for themselves, or they hope to at least. My mot was told I needed a new headlight because the beam was at the wrong angle. Turned out the bulb just wasn't sitting correctly lol. I told them Id replaced it like they said but I hadn't. What do you know it passed lol.

Is it normal for these pistons to get clogged up at the same time? Because its on both rear disks thats why I was thinking handbrake myself. Front disks are both fine.
I dont use the car much like I was saying, but looking at those pics, would I feel anything when Im breaking if one side rear wasnt working at all, like pulling or anything? Ive not noticed anything obvious.

Thanks