Thread: 240 General: - High Idle Only In N & P
View Single Post
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 08:25   #17
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
That is so and normal behaviour, Alan. There is nothing 'wrong' about slipping into N at every stop, no matter how brief, but it does negate slightly the point of an automatic. I'm more inclined to agree with 'Moomoo', and do so only on longer stops, where it is also necessary to keep the engine on - e.g. when on a motorway.

But that is more to do with the driver's preference than the car.

An exception to the above is when driving at night, when I do slip it into N if there is someone behind me to avoid dazzling them unnecessarially with my brake lights.

Regards, John.
I think I do that (into neutral and apply the parking brake) unconsciously in both automatics and manual motor cars John. Perhaps it comes of being a biker at heart (less the handbrake bit of course), where holding the clutch open with one's left hand is inconvenient and tiresome?

I still think this is good practice, and find it irritating having to look at another driver's brake lights when stopped at a traffic signal because they have not bothered. I can't help thinking it is better for the drivetrain (in both automatics and manuals) for it to be in neutral when idling - less wear, less heat and less fuel.

Just my view - judging by the number of brake lights I see at controlled junctions and crossings many drivers disagree with me :-).

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jul 22nd, 2022 at 08:48.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: