View Single Post
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 15:51   #8
Bork Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post

By "Dashpots rise and fall at the same rate." I presume you mean between the two carbs, not for each carb...Dashpot Rise must be dampened, but Fall must not! Also, are you doing your tests only in the driveway (not road/under load), in which case I must ask if your initial mixture setting after carb rebuild was at 12 faces down on the Jets? I don't know this for certain, having never done this, but if, for instance, you could get the engine started with them flush at the Venturis (with the help of ether I suppose), the engine might be able to be reved against its own inertia, but it would clearly be very lean (and not so good for it!), but it wouldn't be able to make much power against a full load, and I wonder where it would "run out of breath"...

Good Hunting!
Thanks, Ron, I always love your tips.

Yes, when compared to one another, if I push them up at the same time, they have the same amount of resistance and they fall together when I release them.

My initial setting was at 12 flats, but I believe they are currently sitting at 14 flats. That's right about where they were when I set up my 1800S with the identical engine and carb setup.

The air cleaners are currently off, but I have a set of CNC machined aluminum velocity stacks that allow me to quickly remove a modern conical air cleaner for carb service. Removing the velocity stacks makes no change in behavior.

(For those interested, these velocity stacks were made by namvet6970 on eBay.)
Bork Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bork Volvo For This Useful Post: