Thread: Poor starting
View Single Post
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 11:21   #9
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Yes I know the engine will shut down/fail to start if the sensor dies-I've had it happen before on my Vauxhall Omega V6[they don't react well to aftermarket sensors so had to buy genuine from a main dealer for that].Didn't know you could try cleaning them though! What would you use to try that?Grateful for suggestions so far and always happy to hear any more.
Me too regarding the Omega, she misfired and spluttered for about a week before shutting down, I eventually had to take it to Vx as it had become a bit of a needle in a haystack without Tech II at the time, £260 to replace iirc and that was in 1999,

If you can get it out I would try carb or brake cleaner on it if a simple wipe doesn't clean it anyway,

Before you do though I would check the earth strap from the battery if you haven't already, I'd also suspect the starter motor as brush wear can make them lazy, I had a MKIII Cortina that did it but never got to the bottom of it,

When you say bad starting, is it slow cranking or simply taking longer to fire?

Reading back I don't think it's going to be the crank sensor so hold off that for a bit for now.

You mention longer cranking times, I'd be all over the fuel delivery systems first if the crank is strong but just taking longer to catch.

Last edited by SnineT; Jul 7th, 2022 at 11:26.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote