Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 18:10   #1819
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I think you're right Alan, marketing over the masses. It makes them believe they do actually want all these things that they then find they never use. Referring again to my friends A1, it has built in sat-nag but she's never used it preferring to use Gaggle Mops on her phone instead.

As for Dacia, in the 70s they were building Renault 12s under licence from Renault including if memory serves, a van variant and also a 4x4 that was in fact closer to a Lada Cossack but powered by Renault mechanicals. These days because of the tie-up with GM and Nissan, many Dacias feature components from those ranges too such as Nissan Micra tail lights on one particular Duster model (the name used by Dacia in the 70s for their "Renault 12-a-like") so while they're still simpler, they're a generation or two behind the general confusion we currently have in new cars.

I've not driven a car with start-stop but i know it would annoy the living daylights out of me but as for the other bells'n'whistles such as one-touch down and up on all electric windows should be standard on cars these days. I've had 1986 registered cars with that feature on as standard so there isn't an excuse but neither my Volvo 760 nor the Jag has that feature. Also what i've come to know as "Lazy Locking" where all windows and sunroof can be closed when the car is locked. Again, i've had 1986 cars with that on but the 760 doesn't, the Jag does but you have to use the key rather than fob or key. I don't know of any newer cars with these features on so to my mind, manufacturers are missing the point somewhat.
Yes Dave, it is mostly down to marketing. 40 years ago people didn't know they needed alloy wheels and air conditioning, now it would be hard to buy a motor car (except perhaps a Dacia) without those things. Do we need either? Of course not, but that is what the market believes it wants.

Do we need all the bells and whistles that come with modern motor cars? I'd had the Skoda for 5 years (from new) before I realised the electric mirrors folded up for parking, I was even more surprised to find they did so remotely from the remote :-). Did I need that feature? Of course not - I'd lived for 5 years without it, but now I know it is there it is actually quite useful and I use it every time I park.

The Skoda and the Porsche both have the 'lazy locking' feature. On the Porsche this includes closing the convertible hood, the windows, locking the car and folding the mirrors all remotely from the key fob. Now that is a nice party trick in Morrison's car park.

:-)