Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 19:42   #2933
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's no suprise the Virgo wheels look good on a 240 Alan, they were after all designed for it, specifically the GLT model and were originally colloquially known as "GLT wheels" as that's the car that got them as standard.

A similar design was used on the 360GLT and in both cases, at the time the larger wheels were used to clear larger brakes which ironically is why they won't fit many of the later 7/9xx models because the brakes are too big and need 16" wheels.

As for tyres, all depends what you want and how much you want to pay. I've been using a brand called "Invovic" for a few years now on the 760, very cheap (first set of 4 were just over £100) and although you might think "Chinese Ditchfinders", you'd be wrong. They grip like glue to the road (believe me, i've been brutal and tried to get them to break traction!), they're quiet and comfortable. Can't really argue as they do exactly what i want them to.

Also if you refurb the wheels yourself, you can save a small fortune and if you have (i know you do) your own tyre changer and balancer, the rest is free as well.

I think the Pholus wheels would suit GAM better with their visual allusion to Minilites and those being the period wheels of choice for may people for 60s and 70s cars.
Agreed Dave,

There is a lot of snobbery about tyres, but the Chinese ditch-finders (Hifly) that I bought for only £130/set for GAM and many would look down their noses at have grip much better than the Amazon’s limitations. I always think it is most important to keep all 4 tyres on a motor car the same (I keep all Dunlop on the Porsche, all Continental on the Skoda and all perfectly good matching sets of ditch-finders on both GAM and the RB). I’ve done that for years on motorcycles and cars - and not had any problems.

Perhaps you are right about the Pholus vs Virgo wheels on GAM, that idea (fitting PCD 5x108 wheels to GAM) is just an idea. The good thing about GAM is I can take the project in any direction I like. As you know I already have two sets of alternate wheels for GAM, but for a few hundred pounds I may sometime be tempted to get some spacers made so I can try more modern Volvo alloy wheels. Assuming I do sell the RB I’ll keep one set of wheels (either Virgo or Pholus) for some future project.

Interesting discussion.

Alan

PS. Here is the mock up of the Pholus wheels on GAM:

... I was trying to imagine the Virgo wheels in the same place - perhaps you are right.

I know I don't need to do this, and the only real reason is: because I can, but I'm tempted to get the PCD 5x4 1/2" to 5x4 1/4" spacers made and try both the Pholus and Virgo wheels. It would only cost a few hundred pounds.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Jul 2nd, 2022 at 20:06. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: