View Single Post
Old May 25th, 2022, 16:00   #1
Morton

Default Insurance, Indy Body Shop or DIY repair?

I'm wondering what the best option for repairing damage on my car might be after a lorry damaged it last month?

I stopped, reversed into a passing place and stopped again to let a low-loader pass on a country lane. The lorry driver, seeing the gap was too narrow seemed to think that if he carried on slowly, he would fit. Well, he didn't and he scratched my car and pushed it further into the hedge on the other side that I was tucked into which further scratched the car. The company the lorry belongs to is insured with the same insurer that I am (Aviva) and Aviva have told me it's a "no fault claim" on my part because I was stopped when it happened which means my full NCB is safe and I won't have to pay an excess. Thing is, it's taking forever to get any information out of them and a month later nothing has been sorted out. They're going to chase it in another couple of weeks apparently. I've just phoned them and been told "Commercial claims (ie lorries) aren't that simple as there are loads of steps involved and they can't establish liability until the lorry driver's company's transport manager (who wasn't there) admits fault. In which case, I'd end up paying a £150 Excess and seeing my premium increase which will annoy me.

So, am I better off, trying to repair the damage myself? Are there any products that will cover up the scratches and remove the lorry's paint that I can do at home and then cancel the claim and change insurer?

Would I be better off going to a local car repairer with this and seeing what they could do in case it'll cost less than £300-£400 (XS + increase in premium)

Should I just wait and let the insurers fix the car on the basis that they've told me it's a "No Fault Claim" which is taking ages and assume that I won't have to pay XS or lose any NCB (or see an increase in premium as my NCB is "Protected").
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220425_150215.jpg (335.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220426_160705.jpg (259.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220425_143352.jpg (194.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220425_143344.jpg (220.5 KB, 33 views)
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote