Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Apr 22nd, 2022, 15:56   #1641
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
To be honest Alan, you'd be better getting a 1987-on (1988MY or newer) 740 if that was what took your fancy and waiting the extra couple of years for Historic status. Not only were the engines revamped in ~1986 but trim imrpovements and other things were improved also so worth getting a slightly later one.
I'm not going to buy a 740 Dave, but I'd have to disagree about that point from the viewpoint of a hobby car. Most people (all those except the very wealthy) would have to justify a hobby car as not being too expensive - after all it will probably be a third or fourth family car and won't be earning its keep like the others.

Paying tax and for a MoT test for an additional 3 years would cost about a grand. Once a motor car reaches 41 years old it will appreciate by the historic vehicle premium (by between 50 and 100%) quite quickly. So, that 1984 740 that one might buy for £2,500 today might be worth something like £4-5,000 in 2025. If someone has to convince an 'other half' that it is a really good idea to run a third or fourth vehicle as a hobby car that is quite a compelling argument - 'in only 3 years I'll double our money, Dear'.

I didn't have anyone else to convince (Bob doesn't count, Dan doesn't mind as long as we keep the Porsche), but that was exactly my argument (to myself) when I bought the RB nearly 3 years ago. It was still reasonably priced then but soon qualified as an historic vehicle and so it today worth quite a lot more. It has been an enormously satisfying project - that must be about the best way of running a hobby car: fun and appreciates in value.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Apr 22nd, 2022 at 15:57. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: