View Single Post
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 10:12   #33
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadybc View Post
Ah ok so are the chips just replacing the map with a new pre setup one removing the need to get it tweaked?

I will mention this now probably a bit late but I like the idea of having a 3 inch downpipe leading into a standard exhaust except for the addition of bypass valves so that it is unsuspecting but when I need good flow I can have it.
The generic chips contain fuel and ignition maps that have been found to work with almost every tuned engine, however like the original manufacturer fitted chips, there are compromises to ensure the safety and longevity of the engine they are controlling.

With custom chips, these are programmed to optimise the specific engine they are running. This can give improved performance and economy without compromising certain things as a safety measure because the engine is capable of withstanding more in a particular parameter than others.
That said, until you've built your engine, you won't know whether a custom or generic chip-set will be better for you in the wallet department and performance. Ideally, a custom set is the way to go as it can be tweaked to your individual engine.

Despite everything the manufacturers will tell us, all engines are different even though they are built from the same components and tolerances.

Are you planning any head work in terms of porting and port-matching? That is usually a good way of (relatively) cheaply releasing power, improving smoothness and economy and provides a good foundation for the other mods you have planned.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: