View Single Post
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 07:48   #98
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
The bikes would also be better protected in a van than on a trailer as well, Alan...

... I guess it depends on why you are moving the bikes.

Regards, John.

What you refer to as a trials bike carrier Alan is very like the type of thing that we used to carry mopeds and autocycles. They worked very well. J.
You are so right John,

When I really think about it I probably don't really need either trailer. The 3/4t ramp back is really handy for collecting building materials and taking stuff to the council dump, friends borrow it occasionally for the same purposes but if I'm really candid I could live without it.

The bike trailer is another nice to have: there was a time when I did quite a lot of green lane riding with some mates, and it was really useful to get two off road bikes to Derbyshire or Wales for trips away. If I'm honest with myself I'm probably not fit enough to do that any more (after a couple of hip replacements) so I'm unlikely to need it for that again. I do use the bike trailer for collecting project bikes from time to time, but again I do that much less now (and I'm trying to reduce my collection of bikes).

In conclusion: the answer is more along the lines of a lifestyle change (over the next 18 months) to reduce the number of bikes, motor cars and trailers I own so I can fit in a smaller space when I relocate to spend my dotage somewhere by the sea. I will probably always own the Triumph and the Royal Enfield bikes, but I'll sell the Suzuki 2 stroke and the CCM in the spring - at the same time promise myself that I won't buy any more project bikes. I think I could reconcile the Porsche and the Skoda Superb estate into one vehicle: something like the Tesla Model X would fit the bill (and I suspect there will be a bigger choice of similar EVs in 2 years time - and with it real prices of EVs will continue to fall). The RB is staying whatever - which gets me down to just two motor cars and two motorcycles - at that point the need for the two trailers goes away.

There is a fly in the ointment: there is another Volvo project I'm quite keen on and will have a look at later on this week. If it is okay it could be one last project - and 18 months sounds like a nice timescale.

It has been a really useful to go through the estimate process (as it would have been called in the military) - as always this forum has been a really useful sounding board.

:-) Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jan 3rd, 2022 at 07:50. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: